"Through the power of Christ, we are learning to live in simplicity, thankfulness, contentment and
generosity in the Bitterroot Valley of Montana."

(IF YOU CLICK ON A PICTURE, IT WILL GET BIGGER... AND EASIER TO VIEW.)

Thursday, December 14, 2017

Advent Devotional - December 14



Choosing to Help and to Be Good

It is difficult to believe that it has been one year since I fell, broke my left wrist and sprained my right wrist, and two weeks later, developed a massive blood clot pressing against the left side of my brain, requiring a neurosurgeon to remove it. Subsequent in-patient and out-patient physical, speech, and occupational therapy ensued. I didn’t return home until January 13th.  

During this time, so many people I had never met before became close, personal acquaintances.  There is no modesty when it comes to needing the type of help I needed. Then and now, I am profoundly grateful that people chose to help me:  family , friends, ambulance drivers, nurses, doctors, therapists, nurses’ aides, et. al. Each one had chosen a life’s work of service to others. I am in awe of people who choose to become dedicated, caring medical professionals. 

 At this time of year, I recall a Christmas, long ago, when my brother, sister, and I were eagerly awaiting the arrival of Father Christmas in our home. As many parents did at that time, they warned their children that they must choose to be good or there could be the possibility of them finding only a small lump of coal in their stocking on Christmas morning.  One year, my brother had chosen ill-advised activities that resulted in a Christmas morning that none of us was ever to forget!  

My sister and I had stockings brimming with toys, candy, fruit, nuts, and other surprises. And, yes, my brother Bob found the only thing that was in his stocking:  located at the very tip was a small piece of coal. I remember the look on his face when he realized the consequence of all his mis-behaviors. My sister and I were delighted with presents of all shapes and sizes, prettily packaged, under our tree. However, Brother Bob found nothing under the tree with his name on it.  

We were witnesses to Brother Bob’s behavior shifting dramatically to that of a model son and brother. He was on his best behavior, in hopes there would be some mercy to transform his Christmas from utter gloom to redemption.  Later in the day, after our wonderful Christmas luncheon, and after a discussion of the importance of choosing “good,” Brother Bob was introduced to his presents that had been hidden until that time.  

Life is filled with choices. Hopefully, we are able to learn from mistakes we, inevitably, make. When we falter, it is important to ask for forgiveness. It is important to forgive, as we are forgiven.  

At this time of Advent, may each of us extend love and mercy to one another. May we choose to help and “to be good.” With God’s help, all things are possible. (May no one find a lump of coal in his or her Christmas stocking this year!).

 Sheila Hammitt

No comments:

Post a Comment