"Through the power of Christ, we are learning to live in simplicity, thankfulness, contentment and
generosity in the Bitterroot Valley of Montana."

(IF YOU CLICK ON A PICTURE, IT WILL GET BIGGER... AND EASIER TO VIEW.)

Thursday, January 2, 2014

Devotional for the Ninth Day of Christmas

John Wesley’s four resolutions, which were not New Year resolutions, it has to be said, are still very good food for thought as we think about we might embark upon this new year of 2014, and about what changes if any, we might want to make.  Many will make and have already made resolutions to do with physical fitness, or physical size, or about lifestyle, and in fact about umpteen other things.

However, Wesley’s resolutions are worth thinking deeply about. In his Journal, he wrote in 1738:

With regard to my own reserve, I now renewed and wrote down my former resolutions:
1. To use absolute openness and reserved with all I should converse with.

2. To labour after continual seriousness, not willingly indulging myself in any the least levity of behavior, or in laughter; no, not for a moment.

3. To speak no word which does not tend to the glory of God; in particular, not to talk of worldly things?  Others may, nay, must.  But what is that to thee? 

And,

4. To take no pleasure which does not tend to the glory of God; thanking God every moment for all I do take, and therefore rejecting every sort and degree of it which I feel I cannot so thank Him in and for.

No comments:

Post a Comment