"Through the power of Christ, we are learning to live in simplicity, thankfulness, contentment and
generosity in the Bitterroot Valley of Montana."

(IF YOU CLICK ON A PICTURE, IT WILL GET BIGGER... AND EASIER TO VIEW.)

Wednesday, February 27, 2019

A Pastoral Letter to the Stevensville UMC

In response to the events of the Special General Conference, I would like to share the following statement shared by a colleague:

"On a day when the actions the General Conference of the UMC has made decisions that are hurtful and do not display the love I have experienced and have hoped to nurture in the church I say with other clergy colleagues:

I will not sign any statements that want me to exclude anyone.
I will continue to be available to officiate same gender marriages.
I will continue to keep striving to do good, do no harm and stay in love with God. 


So be it."

I mean to make this statement the cornerstone of my ministry going forward as I strive to fulfill the words from the Baptismal Covenant:

"Brothers and sisters in Christ: Through the Sacrament of Baptism we are initiated into Christ's holy Church. We are incorporated into God's mighty acts of salvation and given new birth through water and the Spirit. All this is God's gift, offered to us without price."

"On behalf of the whole Church, I ask you: Do you renounce the spiritual forces of wickedness, reject the evil powers of this world, and repent of your sin?"

This is where I am coming from and where I intend to function as your pastor so long as the bishop appoints me to this charge.

No comments:

Post a Comment