"Through the power of Christ, we are learning to live in simplicity, thankfulness, contentment and
generosity in the Bitterroot Valley of Montana."

(IF YOU CLICK ON A PICTURE, IT WILL GET BIGGER... AND EASIER TO VIEW.)

Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Helping Women in Zimbabwe Achieve Self-Reliance

Helping Women in Zimbabwe Achieve Self-Reliance
Alice Esnath Makaniko
My name is Alice Esnath Makaniko (born Makuwerere Dube). I was born the last of six siblings and grew up in my grandparents’ care after my father passed away in 1995. In 2011 I married Reverend John Makaniko of the United Methodist Church, who is the pastor in charge of Marange East Circuit. I am currently serving as the leader of Women’s Fellowship at circuit level in Marange East Circuit. My husband is very supportive of my vision and my dreams, and as a family we always work together and support each other.

I am in my third and final year at the University of Zimbabwe, studying for a bachelor of science honors degree in administration. I opted for this field of study because I want to help women be administrators of their own lives, of their finances and of their families. I also want to equip women to be self-reliant and not be wholly dependent on their husbands — in Zimbabwe, most women do not have paid employment. I am also interested in governance issues and gender equality, since women are often deprived of their rights in leadership positions and at their place of work. Because of these issues, I decided to study for an administration degree. I want to equip women to have income-generating projects in order to achieve self-reliance.

Encountering Challenges

In the years before I received my United Methodist Women scholarship, I had encountered challenges to pay my school fees. I applied to a number of scholarship funds, including the Presidential Scholarship and the Joshua Nkomo Scholarship Fund, but without success. Every time I was about to go back to school, I would apply for a loan at my husband's bank, and it would take six to eight months to repay this loan. My studies became a challenge.

I then learned about the United Methodist Women scholarship program through my District connectional director, Reverend Mashita. The moment she told me about the program, I was eager to apply for the scholarship fund.

I had faith in the United Methodist Women scholarship program because many students, especially from Africa University, had benefitted from United Methodist Women scholarships. I applied for the scholarship program because I believed that it was going to be the solution to my financial problems. I am so grateful to be a recipient of this scholarship program.

A Positive Impact

The United Methodist Women scholarship program has made a great positive impact in my life and my studies. I feel greatly honored to be a recipient of this scholarship program, because it has made learning so much easier. My hope is to continue with my studies, obtaining a masters degree in international relations, and also acquiring a doctorate. I also hope to start a Christian-based organization in support of women and orphans.

No comments:

Post a Comment