"Through the power of Christ, we are learning to live in simplicity, thankfulness, contentment and
generosity in the Bitterroot Valley of Montana."

(IF YOU CLICK ON A PICTURE, IT WILL GET BIGGER... AND EASIER TO VIEW.)

Thursday, April 2, 2015

A Holy Thursday Remembrance

"DO THIS IN REMEMBRANCE OF ME" (Holy Thursday)

by Anna Murdoch (Broadstreet UMC - Statesville, NC)

("As I think of this night, Holy/Maundy Thursday, so long ago, I realize that Jesus not only washed the feet of the one who would betray him, but he prepared a place at the table for him as well. It is the same today. He still prepares the table ... for all")

You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies.


It was when you asked me to help,
O God, that I truly understood ...
or at least understood
in the way that you asked me
to understand.


You handed a chalice to me
from the table you prepared
and whispered, "For all."
I gulped. "Oh God... really?
For all?"

You whispered again,
"Look into their eyes,
offer to them what I have prepared,
Some might be your enemies,
but none are mine."


And so I stood,
at the end of an aisle,
with chalice in hand
and wept at the thoughts
of my enemies welcomed
to the table
that was prepared for me
in such a generous way.


The table was not mine;
the guest list was not mine;
the chalice never ran dry ...
nor did the grace and mercy.


Once again, I heard,
"Do this in remembrance ...
and remember,
these are not my enemies."


You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies,
and then you say, "All sit ... together."


And still the chalice never runs dry
for those around the table -
not even for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment