"Through the power of Christ, we are learning to live in simplicity, thankfulness, contentment and
generosity in the Bitterroot Valley of Montana."

(IF YOU CLICK ON A PICTURE, IT WILL GET BIGGER... AND EASIER TO VIEW.)

Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Happy birthday, John Wesley

The Old Rectory @ Epworth
Tuesday, June 28, 1774:

This being my birthday, the first day of my seventy-second year, I was considering, How is this, that I find just the same strength as I did thirty years ago? That my sight is considerably better now, and my nerves firmer than they were then? That I have none of the infirmities of old age, and have lost several i had in m youth? The grand cause is the good pleasure of God, who doeth whatsoever pleaseth Him.

The chief means are (1) my constantly rising at four in the morning for about fifty years; (2) my generally preaching at five in the morning - one of the most healthy exercises in the world;(3) my never travelling less, by sea or land, than four thousand five hundred miles in a year.

In the evening, I preached at Yarm, about eleven the next day at Osmotherly, and in the evening Thirsk.

The Journal of the Rev. John Wesley, A.M.

No comments:

Post a Comment