"Through the power of Christ, we are learning to live in simplicity, thankfulness, contentment and
generosity in the Bitterroot Valley of Montana."

(IF YOU CLICK ON A PICTURE, IT WILL GET BIGGER... AND EASIER TO VIEW.)

Friday, February 5, 2016

Why Give Up Chocolate for Lent When You Can Give Up Plastic?

By Carol Janus

I just love the word serendipity. It sounds so sweet. When it happens to me, it’s even better than eating a box of chocolates.

Just last year, I was considering starting a “why give up chocolate for Lent when you can give up plastic?” initiative at the Washington National Cathedral, where I’m a volunteer chairperson for their environment committee. For some reason, I found myself hesitant.

During Lent, a season observed during the six weeks before Easter, many Christians make a commitment to give up certain luxuries as a form of penitence. But would people really recognize plastics as a form of luxury? Or would it be better to just let people make their own choices? I needed some encouragement.

Read more at this link.

No comments:

Post a Comment