"Through the power of Christ, we are learning to live in simplicity, thankfulness, contentment and
generosity in the Bitterroot Valley of Montana."

(IF YOU CLICK ON A PICTURE, IT WILL GET BIGGER... AND EASIER TO VIEW.)

Sunday, April 30, 2017

Further reflections from Bishop Oliveto

Praying for the clergy and laity of the Mountain Sky Area as we prepare to gather for worship. Oh, how weary I am but yet my heart is filled with love for you and the ministry we share. It has been an emotional week, waiting for the decision from the Judicial Council. I am grateful that I am your bishop and we get to continue the work God is calling us to do. There will be challenges, but for now we roll up our sleeves, pray without ceasing, and work hard!

I know the breadth of emotions present in our congregations tomorrow will be as wide as the Big Sky of Montana. Discouragement, anger, joy, confusion, dismay...Make space in worship for the expression of the feelings. God is waiting to hear and heal.

Once, I was asked to discuss the religious right to a government agency. I did my homework and when I arrived at the hearing room, seated in the galley was one of the top religious conservatives in California. He came up to me after and said, "You spoke about me, but you don't really know me." He was right. How dare I speak ABOUT someone else and not allow them to speak for themselves the truth of their life and faith?

There is a lot of that going on in our churches. We are talking about one another, without opening our hearts to each person's life story and experience of God. Our eyes are closed to each other.

We are not unlike those disciples walking on the road to Emmaus. Someone came and walked along side them, but their eyes were closed to the reality that the person who was with them was their beloved Teacher.

Who is it that your eyes and hearts are closed to? Stop a minute, right here, and picture them in your mind.
Now, see the Christ within them. How does that change how you feel about them? Can you see them? Really see them in their precious human self?

Tomorrow, look around the church. Jesus is going to show up in the person you least expect.

Blessings,
Bishop Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment