"Through the power of Christ, we are learning to live in simplicity, thankfulness, contentment and
generosity in the Bitterroot Valley of Montana."

(IF YOU CLICK ON A PICTURE, IT WILL GET BIGGER... AND EASIER TO VIEW.)

Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Devotional for December 12

Michael O'Brien
                                     Everlasting Father

"For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace."  Isaiah 9:6
 

What powerful, beautiful, incredible prophecy these words have always been for me, whether spoken in Scripture or heard in Handel's Messiah at the triumphant end of the Hallelujah Chorus.  
 

Yet the phrase "Everlasting Father" had no meaning for me in my life. Though I longed for my earthly father to be a protector and provider for me, he was not.  I cannot remember even one of my birthdays when he was present, and only one Christmas when he was there. Plagued by alcoholism, mental illness, and the inability to hold a permanent job, he was gone more than present in our family life. Our parents were divorced when I was 12, and I never saw him again.  
 

Imagine my amazement when at age 5, my beloved Aunt Marion brought me to accept Christ by saying that Jesus would be my Eternal Father!. I was overjoyed.  And He has never let me down. He was there during my turbulent teenage years. He waited for me even when I turned away during my young adult years. In the many lonely years when Les was stationed overseas, He comforted and calmed me. And He rejoiced with us in the birth of our children and grandchildren, and was always near us through both heartaches and joys.   
 

Today, on my 82nd birthday, He will be there. I rejoice that one day I will join my Everlasting Father in the world that is to come.

Hazel Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment