"Through the power of Christ, we are learning to live in simplicity, thankfulness, contentment and
generosity in the Bitterroot Valley of Montana."

(IF YOU CLICK ON A PICTURE, IT WILL GET BIGGER... AND EASIER TO VIEW.)

Thursday, December 6, 2018

Devotional for December 6



The Indescribable Gift


“Thanks be to God for his indescribable gift!”   2 Corinthians 9:15


(Two friends run into each other on the day after Christmas and 

exchange the following holiday greetings and conversation.)

“Hey, Merry Christmas to you. Did you get anything special?”

Merry Christmas back.  And yeah, you bet.  I got something so awesome I can’t begin to describe it.”

“Oh c’mon. Sure you can describe it.  Just tell me about it.”


“Well, for starters, it’s majestic and magnificent and miraculous.

 And it’s also meek and mild, and well, humble…”

“Very mysterious. So tell me about color, size and shape..”

“Well that won’t work because it’s actually not an it. It’s a He.”

“Ok, that’s weird. So you got a person for Christmas?”

Well, really the spirit of a person, but much more.”

“That makes no sense. A person is just a person.”

“Not this one.  He’s totally a person and totally God. He feels joy and pain as a person. He personifies perfect love because He’s God.”

“So this person/God was wrapped up under your tree?”


“Well of course not.”

“So He’s not actually a gift?”

Yeah, He really is.  He’s a gift from God, His father, and He is God.”


“He’s a gift from God ,and He is God??”


“Yeah, you’re finally catching on. And He speaks to me and guides me through His spirit because I invited Him to be in me and with me. And He even prays for me to God because He loves me so much.”

Ok, ok, so how did you manage to get this incredible gift?  You have to be pretty much a perfect person to receive a gift like that, huh?”

Well no, that’s the most amazing part. This gift is Jesus and He didn’t come to reward perfect people. He came to lift up ordinary, imperfect mistake-making sinners like me!”

“Sorry but that makes no sense.”

“Right, that’s what I’m telling you. It’s absolutely impossible to describe. It only makes sense when you have a relationship with Him. And even then then it’s beyond comprehension. I highly recommend you give it a shot. It’s wonderful and peaceful. It’s, well  ...heavenly.”

“I’ve gotta think this over.”

“Good idea. But don’t over-think it. It’s truly beyond our understanding. That’s what makes it indescribable.”

“Hmmmm….”



Nilda Bishop

No comments:

Post a Comment