"Through the power of Christ, we are learning to live in simplicity, thankfulness, contentment and
generosity in the Bitterroot Valley of Montana."

(IF YOU CLICK ON A PICTURE, IT WILL GET BIGGER... AND EASIER TO VIEW.)

Sunday, December 2, 2018

Devotional for the First Sunday of Avent


I AM . . .

“I AM the Bread of Life (John 6:35, 41, 48, 51); I AM the Light of the World (John 8:12); I AM the Door of the Sheep (John 10:7, 9); I AM the Good Shepherd (John 10:11,14); I AM the Resurrection and the Life (John 11:25); I AM the Way, the Truth and the Life (John 14:6); and I AM the True Vine (John 15:1, 5).


“Jesus declares ‘before Abraham was born, I am!’ At this, they picked up stones to stone him, but Jesus hid himself, slipping away from the temple grounds.” (John 8:56–59).

The violent response of the Jews to Jesus’ “I AM” statement indicates they clearly understood what He was declaring—that He was the eternal God incarnate. Jesus was equating Himself with the "I AM" title God gave Himself in Exodus 3:14.

During Advent we welcome Jesus as a tiny babe, helpless as all infants, come to us from humble beginnings. The cozy feelings of the babe in the manger temper our feelings of Jesus the man, God Incarnate.  

Let us never forget the Triune God chose to come to us, lowly as we are, below the angels. When I contemplate the Great I AM as this tiny infant, I am overwhelmed by the breadth and depth of the love and desire the mighty Triune has to bring us, created beings, into the presence of the Holy of Holies. 

Let us always desire to let God’s light shine forth to all the nations.

Joey Diers

No comments:

Post a Comment