"Through the power of Christ, we are learning to live in simplicity, thankfulness, contentment and
generosity in the Bitterroot Valley of Montana."

(IF YOU CLICK ON A PICTURE, IT WILL GET BIGGER... AND EASIER TO VIEW.)

Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Advent Devotional - December 13


Shade Tree Memories, where I see Jesus in others.


Shade tree memories is where you go to remember those “Christ like” people in your life.  Some of my shade tree

memories are of my grandparents when I was a child.  I close my eyes and I hear my grandmother’s unique laughter and

remember the smooth, creamy, cream of wheat cereal she used to make special for my breakfast when I was little.  My

grandfather was a great fisherman and spit tobacco juice from the Copenhagen in his jaw on each worm before casting it into the water.  He always came home with lots of fish.  My last shade tree memory of my  grandfather before he passed away, was of him sitting at his kitchen table reading his Bible.  He looked up at me and smiled as I took his picture.


Shade tree planters rarely get to sit under their tree.  Planting shade tree memories is never easy and I have to stop and ask myself, do I sow memories for others in joy?  Is my joy characterized by gladness or delight, a fruit of the spirit?   Am I thinking of my grandchildren and my great grandchildren as I live out my Christian life?

One thing for sure, I want my family and friends to look back over my life and smile and say they have shade tree memories of me.  Are you planting shade tree memories?


Terry Bivens 

No comments:

Post a Comment