"Through the power of Christ, we are learning to live in simplicity, thankfulness, contentment and
generosity in the Bitterroot Valley of Montana."

(IF YOU CLICK ON A PICTURE, IT WILL GET BIGGER... AND EASIER TO VIEW.)

Thursday, December 7, 2017

Advent Devotional - December 7

Star of Wonder

I was three and my oldest brothers were 13 and 15. It was a few weeks before Christmas and they had become strangely secretive. The door to the front parlor, a room not often used in our drafty old farm house, was closed and I was not allowed to enter. No amount of cajoling would sway the brothers... my entry was forbidden. My mother came and went, the brothers entered freely, and even Dad went in and out. There were sounds of busyness behind the closed door.

After a couple of days, as darkness came, my brothers took my hands and told me to close my eyes and they opened the door to the parlor and led me in and told me to stand perectly still and then they told me to open my eyes. I did. The room was completely dark. Someone said, "Now!" Suddenly the lights on the Christmas tree blazed multicolored light into the dark room. Such unexpected and perfect beauty!

Now, whenever I hear the word, "wonder," I recall that feeling that washed through me that first remembered Christmas. Where do I sense God in these days of Advent? I sense God in all those things that bring us to wonder, that fill us with unexpected beauty.

Marcia Prather

No comments:

Post a Comment