"Through the power of Christ, we are learning to live in simplicity, thankfulness, contentment and
generosity in the Bitterroot Valley of Montana."

(IF YOU CLICK ON A PICTURE, IT WILL GET BIGGER... AND EASIER TO VIEW.)

Thursday, December 12, 2013

Advent Devotional for December 12th

The Nativity Window in the Chapel of St Werburgh,
Cheshire Cathedral, England
"For unto us this day is born a Savior who is Christ the Lord."

I was born on my mother's birthday, December 12. When she was happy with me, she often said "You were the best present I ever received." When she was not happy with me, or wanted to tease me she would say "All because of you I had to miss my baby shower and I didn't get any cake!" Somehow the negative message about my birth stuck with me longer and contributed to my ambivalence about my worth to my mother.

I often think of Mary, young, vulnerable, frightened by the annunciation of the angel that she would bear the son of God, and yet obedient to God's plan for her life. How ambivalent she must have felt, how unsure of her worth, how unready for this awesome responsibility. I often feel ambivalent during my Advent meditations, excited and joyous about the Gift that is coming once again to all mankind, but at the same time unsure that I am worthy of it, and surely not worthy of God's sacrifice of his only begotten Son on the cross.

And then I hear again the unbridled joy in Handel's "Messiah."  For unto us a child is born, unto us a Son is given and the government shall be upon His shoulders and His name shall be called Wonderful, Counselor, Almighty God, the Everlasting Father, the Prince of Peace."

Somehow I am once again reminded of my own worth in God's eyes, of His unfailing grace and love towards me, and I know that He is the most wonderful present I have ever been given. This Advent may you feel again the mystery and wonder that this Christ Child "is born to us", to you and to me and to all who will receive Him.

For God's grace can heal any earthly negative messages you may have received about yourself and give to you a new and abundant life as a child of God.

In His Love,

Hazel Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment