"Through the power of Christ, we are learning to live in simplicity, thankfulness, contentment and
generosity in the Bitterroot Valley of Montana."

(IF YOU CLICK ON A PICTURE, IT WILL GET BIGGER... AND EASIER TO VIEW.)

Saturday, December 28, 2013

Devotional for the Fourth Day of Christmas

 
This Scripture reading has always given me "blessed assurance", encouragement and hope. I delight in the imagery of Jesus, Emmanuel, "God with us" – as the one who delivered the light of God’s love to a world in darkness. And when it was time to leave us, he declared that he would not leave us "orphaned." He said we would receive the gift of the Holy Spirit to guide our steps and light our way.

A couple of weeks ago, I was reminded of it, as I was driving to work. Normally, I drive to work in the light of day. However, I was participating in some remote training with folks in a classroom setting in Bethesda, Maryland. Given our time difference, I had to begin the training day at 6:15 a.m. Consequently, I drove to work much earlier than I usually do.

I was driving in the darkest of darkness! I remember thinking that I didn’t like it at all. The car’s headlights lit up a path that was just ahead of me. I could not see anything outside their range of light. It was so dark. I struggled to see what was immediately ahead of me. I was really anxious about the possibility of "critters" stepping out in front of the car suddenly. I knew I would have no warning, because I could not see anything to my right or to my left.

I remember thinking, "I don’t like this at all!" I don’t want to be in the darkness! I want to be in the light! As soon as I thought this, I laughed to myself. Wow, that would be a great devotional! Well, a lot of prayer for traveling mercies was said on that trip that morning. Fortunately, I arrived without incident. I was very grateful, indeed!

Yes, I want to be a "child of the light!" It’s so true what that Scripture says: "If you walk in darkness, you don’t know where you are going." I really do want to walk the way that Jesus taught us to walk. I want God’s love and light to shine through me. How about you?

Belinda Alkula

No comments:

Post a Comment